Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Veggie Loaf and other food things...

Until now I have steered away from food posts because I feel the blog world is thoroughly oversaturated with them. However, the past few weeks has brought some exciting new food things in to my life.

It all started with an episode of Oprah, that featured Kathy Freston and her new book. While I'm not about to bodly state that I'll be going vegan, the book has given me a lot to think about, health-wise and ethically. I'm about half way through the book and I HIGHLY recommend it. It is very well written and she has clearly done her research-which I respect.

I have wanted to try making a Veggie Loaf for years. Many recipes call it "vegetarian meatloaf," but oxymoron's annoy me. As does most fake meat. I didn't want to use the fake "ground meat" either, I wanted to use beans, grains, and veggies. Cheap, easy, delicious. The recipe below makes a loaf that fills a loaf pan to the top, 6 servings, and each serving is 7 points plus on the new WW program. Its a solid meal in itself and you'll see why.

INGREDIENTS
1c dry Quinoa
1c dry lentils
2 eggs
1c shredded cheese
1c fresh breadcrumbs
1/3c onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
2c baby spinach, wilted
1/2 plum tomato, diced (left over from a different meal)
1 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp. Black pepper
1/4 tsp. Red pepper flakes
1 tsp. Freeze Dried Basil
1 tsp. Freeze Dried Chives

*Cook Quinoa and lentils according to individual package directions. Drain, rinse. Mash cooked lentils slightly and combine with Quinoa in a large bowl, setting aside to cool.

*
Preheat oven to 350. I put this 2nd only because it will take roughly 30 min. to cook the lentils.

*Heat a skillet with some cooking spray or a little oil (1tsp) and wilt spinach, place in medium bowl.

*
Dice all vegetables and place in bowl with spinach. I gave you the vegetables I used, which were what I happened to have around, use whatever you like. Maybe some peas or corn too, if you like that.

*
Combine vegetables with Quinoa and Lentils, and add in fresh breadcrumbs. I didn't add them when I made mine, because I didn't think it would need it- but it didn't hold together as well as I would have liked...so add them :)

*Add in the spices. TASTE NOW BEFORE YOU ADD THE EGGS so you can add more seasoning as needed.

*Beat eggs and cheese together lightly, add to mixture

*Work mixture with clean hands and press in to a lightly greased loaf pan.

*Bake at 350 for 45min-1 hr.

enjoy!

**You could easily make this dish Vegan by omitting eggs and cheese, and using a vegan substitute.

Fun fact. The next day I heated up one "slice" then broke it apart and used it as a filling on a "Smart Wraps"tortilla....IT was VERY FILLING!

If you try it, let me know how you like it!

xo
andrea

No comments: